DSN/DS Decontactor™ Series Switch Rated Plugs & Receptacles
Washdown-rated plugs and receptacles
The automatic watertight connection: Meltric Decontactors offer Type 4X watertightness as soon as the plug is latched to the receptacle or the receptacle lid is closed. They provide an enhanced degree of protection against windblown dust or rain, splashing water and hose-directed water.
Ordering Best Practices – How to Choose the Best Lid for Washdown Environments
Choosing the appropriate lid will ensure the Decontactor operates with maximum performance in washdown environments. Meltric Decontactors are available in either a normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) lid option. Here are some guidelines to determine which lid option is best for you:
- Normally Closed: The NC lid requires an operator to manually close it to obtain a complete watertight seal. It is recommended that this option should be used when an operator is less than 20 feet from the device or within easy reach. This ensures the operator can see the NC lid needs to be manually closed prior to washdown operations in order to keep the plug and receptacle dry.
- Normally Open: If an operator is more than 20 feet from the device, as in cord drop applications, the NO lid option is recommended because at a distance it is easily seen and readily indicates that the Decontactor needs to be manually closed before washdown operations in order to keep it dry.
Installation Best Practices – How To Install A Meltric Decontactor for Washdown Environments?
Since Meltric devices are used in a wide variety of applications and environments, they possess different mounting options made capable by their modular design. But for washdown environments, Decontactors should be installed in a manner that will prevent water from entering the device during a washdown event. Here are some guidelines for installing a Meltric device for washdown environments:
- Mounting Orientation: Always install the receptacle (or inlet) so it is pointing down and the plug pointing up. This will ensure water goes over the device during washdowns. (If the receptacle is mounted pointing up, it will act like a cup and collect water during washdowns and potentially flood the device with water.
- Sealer Tape: Poly/threaded handles that allow third party cord grips must be sealed to keep water out. Always use sealer tape on the NPT fittings of the handle
- The Correct Bushing Size: Ensure the bushing is sized correctly on the cables to prevent water ingress.